The Stay Home Advent Project unlocks new pieces of bite-sized, multimedia art on Mondays and Fridays, so that we can open something together from wherever we are. This pop-up take on our regular December calendar drives donations towards a COVID-relief fund for artists—because we believe that all kinds of art can do all kinds of good.
But we need your help to do it! Please read the guidelines below, and then send us your work.
An ideal Stay Home Advent Project submission
- can be consumed in under five minutes;
- is 80% to 100% complete;
- is unpublished (not publicly available);
- falls within our technical requirements;
- is any media, tone, theme, or topic; and
- make us feel less alone.
If this sounds like a good home for that weird and/or wonderful thing you have been working on, please submit it below.
Sign in to Google to submit
Don’t have a Google account? Email us at email@example.com.
Round 2 submissions are due Sunday, June 7.
Don’t have a piece ready to go? That’s okay too. We will keep taking submissions on a rolling basis till this hopefully stops being relevant (or we have to shift our focus to the December calendar).
Questions about whether your work would be appropriate for The Stay Home Advent Project? Email us at firstname.lastname@example.org.
- File formats accepted: Microsoft Word, Google Docs, plain text
- Maximum of 800 words
- File formats accepted: PNG (recommended), TIFF, JPEG (not recommended)
- Color mode: sRGB
- Resolution: At least 1500px wide
- If you’re working from Illustrator or another vector app, export your files into one of the above formats
To ensure your art is accessible to everyone, please include descriptive text to accompany each image. If the text is included in your image (like for a comic), we’ll transcribe it for you — but we can’t provide descriptions for textless images.
- File formats accepted: WAV, AIFF
- Bit depth & sample rate: 24-bit, 44.1 kHz or higher
- When exporting, leave all compression, limiting, normalization, and other post-processing off your output track
- File format: H.264 (.mp4)
- Audio format: AAC, 48 kHz
- Resolution: At least 1280×720
- If you’re exporting from Adobe Premiere, use the Match Source – High Bitrate preset
Your project should be self-contained in one folder, so it doesn’t require any server configuration or connect to an external database. If it uses npm, all packages should be publicly available, and the project should build with one command.
It will be embedded in an iframe on a page we host, so make sure it works well in this environment. Projects not optimized for viewing in an iframe will not be accepted.
More on The Advent Project
The Advent Project is an online, multimedia calendar that unlocks a new piece of art every day for 24 days in December, which launched last year and will return with new work in December 2020. It’s a separate entity from Stay Home, with some functional differences (for instance, Stay Home does not require a donation to access the art), but they have a lot in common, including the people who created it and the belief that art can make us feel like we’re together when we’re apart.
We borrowed the Advent in our name from the religious tradition, as it marks the time of year (and format!) that originally shaped the project. Our artists come from a variety of backgrounds and create art that reflects that.
Here are some examples of the kind of work we saw last year: